Search This Blog

Monday, March 7, 2011

Hello, Fear and Anxiety

There are a lot of topics I’ve been thinking about lately, wanting to write about.  But when I sit down and try to compose my thoughts, they come out incomplete, disorganized, at times incoherent.

Sure, I had the flu, am still getting over this damn flu (I’ve never had a cough quite like this…), and am now 36 ½ weeks pregnant, which let’s be honest, disqualifies me from putting together a coherent thought, let alone several strung together.

This was frustrating me, greatly, until I realized the underlying issue: What I am really thinking about, almost constantly these days, is my upcoming labor and delivery.  I hate to admit that I am more nervous this go-round. 

Here I thought that after having my first child I would feel like a “pro” of sorts when it came time for the show, but instead, in my wavering confidence over “should I or should I not attempt a VBAC?” and “What if I end up having another emergency c-section?” or “What if there are complications?”  or… I find myself steeped in uncertainty. 

I want my baby girl here, in my arms, without going through the unknown adventure that lies ahead.  It’s hard to believe now, but before I had Eli I was all confidence about the process, looked forward to it, even.  Sure, I was nervous, didn’t know how gracefully I would/would not handle pain, didn’t know what exactly to expect.  But I never doubted that things wouldn’t go smoothly, that I wouldn’t be able to birth my son naturally.  My pregnancy had been uneventful, save for the typical ailments, and so there was no reason in my mind that things would change once we got in the delivery room.

Naïve?  Yes.  But looking back I long to be that person again, so sure about the process, so certain that my body would do what I wanted it to.  I have no true reason to think that things won’t go well this time.  Again, my pregnancy has been uneventful, complication free.  My heartburn/indigestion is starting to drive me bonkers, the sleepless nights are chipping away at me, but I know these things are temporary and so they are (mostly) easily dismissed.

I have been seeing a chiropractor in the hopes of keeping this baby in a good position, and so far all is well.  Nothing indicates a problem at this point.

And yet…

There is a part of me that can’t let go of the first experience, that is petrified that things will take a wrong turn somewhere and that I will end up in the operating room, again.  That I won’t get to see my baby being born, won’t get to hold her, see her for several hours after her birth.  These are the thoughts that eat at me the most.

The fear is irrational, but isn’t being pregnant a sure and sometimes constant path to irrationality? 

Then there’s the thought of leaving Eli while I am at the hospital.  The truth is, I have not been separated from him for more than five hours, ever.  It’s not my preference that this has been the case, it’s just the way it’s worked given our distance from family and my determination to breastfeed the first year.  So my anxiety not only involves giving birth, it also includes being apart from my firstborn for an extended time.

I am quite sure that in a few weeks I will look back on this time and think to myself, “Well, that was a waste of time and energy, letting yourself get worked up over nothing.”  But in the moment I cannot help it.  I sit here and watch baby girl drag her foot along my increasingly scary-looking stomach (holy stretch marks, veins, and bruised looking belly button this time around, yikes).  I make pacts with her:  “Be nice to Mom, okay?  Let’s just get through this together,” or, “Please don’t get stuck in there.  I promise you’ll like it out here.  Really.” 

I wonder if she senses my anxiety.  Unlike Eli, who was quite mellow even in the womb, she is active and I often feel like she is trying to beat her way out of my stomach already.

We are on the cusp of our next chapter together.  Part of me can’t believe this pregnancy is nearly over.  It has passed so quickly I often feel as though I haven’t slowed down enough to marvel at the process.  Then my brain takes over and wishes her here, now, so I can sit assured, knowing all will be okay. 

I’ve realized that the impending labor and delivery process probably never gets any easier, no matter how many children you’ve had, or how well the process has gone previously. 

I just get disappointed when I let my previous experience cloud my confidence, rattle my nerves.  I know my body is capable of doing this the way it is meant to, and I hope to report very soon that we have welcomed our newest addition: a healthy baby girl.

4 comments:

  1. ...I love reading about you, milk-machine-mom...

    I wish I had some of your feelings about the delivery...it seems very fairy tale-like (who doesn't like that?)...and I should want that but somehow my attitude is that I feel I can "take it now or have it later". I am referring to those "I want to see her being born...I want to hold her right away and have our moment...What emotions will I/should I feel"...etc....I have a feeling my thoughts are not coming across how it sounds in my head. :)

    I did anticipate those type of feelings (I call it fairy tale for lack of a better phrase) but I didn't get them. Actually, I did get those things, less the actual birth part, ...but I just got them on her schedule!! Ugh, she already started out this life bossing me around!! :)

    It did suck to not hold her right away, but of course I was all looped up, so I couldn't anyway...but that was just the way it was and I had no control over it. It can be so overwhelming to not have any control over something that is happening to our own bodies!

    I am so happy that I will be able to just schedule my c-section and call it a day. :) For some odd reason, I feel like I wouldn't want it any other way. Totally strange...guess I just assume (and incorrectly, I know) that since I was forced into a c-section last time that I would go that route. I figure my pelvis won't "accommodate" the second time around.

    And nevermind that I have issues over my boginer going through that trauma...I seriously can't wrap my head around it...lol... :)

    Much love...Kristy

    You will do great!!!

    Things will go how they will, without regard for our feelings or plans, and we can not do one friggin thing about it when it comes down to it. It's just life's little way of telling us to suck it! Ok, I had to throw that last phrase in for smile's sake...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy - You always crack me up :)

    I know at the end of the day I really have no control over the situation and how it goes ... it's up to her. But my feeling is I want it to be up to her (and to me) and not dictated by other people who don't necessarily have my best interests in mind. There is a part of me that is scared of trying this all again, and know that in some ways it would be "easier" to just schedule it and not have to think about all this.

    But I also know, for me, that is was deeply disappointing to get so close and then not give birth to Eli. I feel like if my body is ready this time then I want to let it do it's thing.

    That's the beauty of it though, we all have different experiences and preferences ... and thankfully for the most part we can "get" what we want.

    And yes, I am freaked out about the damage my bogina is going suffer if this goes as planned.

    Thanks for your encouraging words ;)

    P.S. Don't assume your pelvis won't accommodate the second time around ... there are so many factors that may have come into play the first time. Just had to throw that in there in case there is a part of you that wants to traumatize your boginer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Stacy. Being a meer 4 weeks behind you, and in the same boat so to speak, I find that we have the same thoughts and fears running through our heads. I waiver daily as to what I am going to do. I have decided to just take it one day at a time and see what happens when this lovely child decides to make their arrival. Hang in there. Know that you are not alone. :) I am anxious to hear about your experience and virtually "meet" that little girl of yours. -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen - you hang in there, too. I'm sure you'll know what feels right/best for you as it gets closer. It's a tough decision to make, but I'm finding it helps a lot when your OB/hospital is open and agreeable to your wishes. We'll see what baby girl decides to do... I'll definitely keep you posted and let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete