Search This Blog

Monday, January 21, 2013

Sit Down. It’s Time for: The Next Big Thing


I am lucky to have met some of the most amazing people I know during my time at Naropa University.  One of them is Carolyn Zaikowski, who invited me to participate in the Next Big Thing, and whose work continuously blows me away.  She’s the real deal, people.  Please go here to read more about Carolyn’s forthcoming book, A Child is Being Killed, from Aqueous Books.

So this week I am going to take a break from writing about motherhood/parenting and do something I rarely do: talk about my writing life.  

And so I give you – The Next Big Thing: An Interview with Stacy Walsh



What is the working title of your book (or story)?
How Film Destroyed My Life

Where did the idea for the book come from?
It’s emerged from a trickle of several different ideas.  Most people don’t understand how the film industry works, or what it’s like to work on a film production.  At all.  Most people I know think we stand around and fawn over movie stars (we don’t).  Then there’s also this thing that happens when you’re working on a project, where it takes over your life because it’s all you do at least 60+ hours per week.  So the fake world you work in on a daily basis becomes your reality.  It’s a tough pill to swallow and does things to your mind that can’t be undone.  Beyond that, you occasionally see movie star or producer “tell-all” type books, about behind-the-scenes drama, but you rarely see one written by blue collar crew members.  That, and I have so many ridiculous stories about my on-set experiences, it seems a waste not to share them.   

What genre does your book fall under?
I’d say a blend of creative nonfiction, humor, and horror.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
This is a trick question.  If this project were adapted (and I couldn’t imagine anyone in their right mind doing so… which means it probably should be), the entire cast would have to be unknowns, or even better, film crew.  Actors would ruin the entire thing.  Although, I do love Living in Oblivion, so maybe there’s hope?

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Dunno.  I’m not one for precise pitches until the product is complete.  I’m probably an agent’s worst nightmare.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
When I finally finish this beast I will submit for representation (notice how I really sold it on the previous question).

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
This is a project I have worked on in starts and stops for the last five years.  I aim to have a complete draft by the end of this year.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Well, there aren’t many.  I’m definitely inspired by authors that write humorous nonfiction (David Sedaris and Laurie Notaro come immediately to mind).  As for books that deal specifically with the film industry, I enjoyed both Julia Phillips “You’ll Never Eat Lunch in this Town Again,” and “Based on the Movie,” by Billy Taylor.  One is a vitriolic attack from a bitter producer, the other a playful tongue-in-cheek look at the trials of living your life working in film.  They both give an insiders view, though their approaches are different, much more straightforward narrative than what I’m doing.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Well, back in the day, when I was working on a film in L.A., I would frequently send these mass emails back home about the more wacky experiences I was having on set, as a way to educate, entertain, and horrify my family and friends, who tended to have these very lofty, Hollywood-esque daydreams about what my life must be like.  I enjoy shattering those misconceptions, for lots of reasons.

But out of those emails came a lot of encouragement about putting my stories down on paper.  Then during my time at Naropa University I had one instructor in particular, Andrew Wille, who thought there was much to mine creatively in these experiences.  And there is.  My struggle has been whether to stay the course with a nonfiction telling (where humor is my intention), or to dive into the uglier side of the industry and put down a fictionalized account so as not to endure the wrath of people I know.  Both projects have their allure, but for now, I’ve opted to stay the nonfiction route. 

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
Just a few key words/phrases to whet your palate: chupacabra (look it up if you aren’t familiar… good times), filming overnight with fake blood and sheep that looked like goats (also related to the chupacabra), working on a Mormon comedy, being holed up in a barber shop as to avoid a rumored drive-by (you know, cause the film was gang-funded), the threat of having one of my arms cut off, riding in a parade dressed as a Marine.  This just scratches the surface, people.   

Thanks again, Carolyn, for inviting me into the fold.  The Next Big Thing continues on...  Be sure to check out interviews with some other fantastic writers I know during the week of January 27th:

Jules Berner fills us in on her latest writing endeavor.

Chris DeWildt illuminates us on his forthcoming collection of shorts from Martian Lit.

Gina Caciolo tells us about – Stamped Your Face: handmade goods crafted with grateful hands.

4 comments:

  1. ...and yes I'm curious. In my other career... the one without diapers and the one without the written word... the one where I am a fly on the wall in between conversations and people that I'm am at times repealed by and at times attracted to ... my career as a sign language interpreter... I am often finding myself wanting to shatter the "oh my god, that must be so rewarding" visions that others have of my work. I often think about how to do that in the written form. I have dreamed of screenplays and novellas.... but the non-fiction realm of where I would love to go with that doesn't feel possible because of my professional code of conduct. I am inspired by your project and look forward to reading it. But for now.... I will continue working on my other project.. which you will find out more about soon!

    thanks for including me in this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jules, I can't wait to hear more about your "other" project, though I have to say I am also very intrigued by your behind-the-scenes stories. I think anyone in a profession of interest has a story to tell, and I am a total sucker for such stories. I'd be happy to collaborate or offer my screenwriting services if you ever feel compelled to develop a project. I think it has a lot of potential ;)

      Delete
  2. Fabulous interview. I just added you to The Next Big Thing Blog Hop Database: https://nathanieltower.wordpress.com/2013/01/09/the-next-big-thing-blog-hop-database/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nathaniel, on both accounts. I'll pass the word along!

      Delete