Search This Blog

Monday, January 28, 2013

Asking for Help

I am terrible at this and always have been.  I am stubborn and independent to a fault. 

The current situation: Vinny’s out of town working, I had an infection in my foot that was almost gone (I’ll spare you the details of how this fun event transpired), but after the furnace went out last Monday and I was up and down stairs way too many times, and then add to that some shoveling (which I actually like doing), the infection came back in a hurry at the end of this past week.  Basically, I’ve had great difficulty walking for the last three weeks, something that in and of itself is frustrating in ways I cannot adequately convey in words. 

This is how life works.  Sometimes it comes all at once, at a time when you wish like nothing else that it would simply leave you alone.  I never expect life to be easy, but there are times when I hope it might be a “little easier,” than others.  This has been one of those times.  Instead, I have been a medicated, hobbling mess.

Thankfully, I was able to retreat this past weekend to my parents.  They stepped in and took over childcare duties, as I sat for the better part of each day with my foot elevated as the infection worsened.  I can’t imagine how much worse things would be had I continued my normal daily routine, which essentially means being on my feet most of the day caring for the kids (and in case this isn't obvious, not great for foot infections). 

Still, there is a part of me that feels as though I am putting someone else out by sitting on my bum, letting someone else help me, take care of me.  I am simultaneously relieved, grateful and frustrated for not being able to do what I need to do each day.  And I know I shouldn’t feel this way.  The kids are having a great time, my parents are happy to help.  But me?  I am having a hard time sitting still, feeling like I am not helping or contributing in any way. 

I fully admit this is a tough concept for me to embrace.  You need help?  Ask for it.  If the situation were reversed and any of my friends or family asked for help, would I do it?  Absolutely, and without thinking twice.  Why is it so hard for me to accept it works the other way in return?  That those who care about me are willing to help, if needed?

I know I am not the only one who struggles with this.  And I wonder why.  Is it pride?  Stubborness?  Independence?  A fear that others won’t be willing to help?  I feel that as a culture we have been ingrained to “do it all,” and to ask for help is a sign of weakness.  But in the long run, we’re only hurting ourselves and those around us when we don’t ask for help.  And don't we want to model this behavior for our children, so that they understand there is no shame in needing help?   

So even though I have felt like we are overstaying our welcome, we have been at my parents since Saturday morning.  The plan was to leave at some point today, even though my foot is still a disaster, and then at lunch: a migraine.  It took me a few minutes to realize what was happening.  My vision was strange, not everything was in focus, I couldn’t see everything looking straight ahead.  As soon as the ring of flashing color showed up in my right eye, I knew what was happening.  Were it not so debilitating and painful, I would welcome the experience… I find the whole thing rather fascinating (how does the brain coordinate these things?).  But that's a whole other topic.

I have been lucky(?) enough to only experience migraine headaches when I’m pregnant.  And I ain’t pregnant.  Really, really.  So this was rather devastating today, to have my first, non-pregnancy-related migraine.  I hope it’s the first and only.

So my plans of leaving faltered.  If I can’t see properly, I certainly don’t feel confident getting behind the wheel of a car, especially with children in tow. 

It took the migraine for me to fully surrender.  To say, “yup, I’m an absolute mess and I am going to continue making an imprint in that couch until tomorrow morning.”  Which is what I am going to sign off now and do.

But first: Thank you, Mom and Dad.  I’m not good at accepting help, but thanks for being here to give it.        

No comments:

Post a Comment